Wednesday, February 17, 2010

“Arise and eat.” (1 kings 19:5)


2/17/10 One Minute Forty-Eight Seconds. That’s how long it took me to unload the dishwasher. It took me 3 days to get motivated to unload the dishwasher. It seems like almost everything is a struggle for me to get the strength to do something. Sometimes it‘s hard to get out of bed. I have been depressed for awhile now. I think I always had a little underlining depression, but it got real bad when xxxx left me and filed for the divorce. It has gotten a lot better, but there are days when I feel like there is a dark cloud over my head and a storm raging. "Then as he lay and slept under a broom tree, suddenly an angel touched him, and said to him, “Arise and eat”(1 Kings 19:5). Elijah was running from Jezebel because she wanted to kill him after he put to death Four hundred of the prophets of Baal . Then after running for a day in the desert he prayed to the Lord "I have had enough, LORD," he said. "Take my life; I am no better than my ancestors"(1 kings 19:4). Elijah was in a great depression and he felt like he was in a hopeless situation. Then the Lord told him “Arise and eat.” I know when I am in the state of depression it’s even hard for me to eat. In the last 6 months I lost about 20 pounds without even trying. I remember asking my mother what should I do about my situation? She told me something that was so simple, but profound at the same time. She told me to “just keep on keeping on”. I wanted to give up because the feeling of hopelessness was so overwhelming. I just couldn’t see how I could continue the way things were going, but You Lord are with me even in my darkest hours. “ You light a lamp for me. The Lord, my God, lights up my darkness”(Psalm 18:28). Lord you are my comfort in the storms of life . I thank you that you never give up on me, even when I give up on myself. You touched me and told me to “Arise and eat”. You Lord Jesus are my strength to "just keep on keeping on".

1 comment:

  1. I've been feeling like that for awhile now. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete