Sunday, February 21, 2010

Tempted Without Sin ( Hebrews 4:15 )


2/20/10 It’s another day and I feel a little better. I’m reading thought the bible in a year and right now I’m in Leviticus. Lord I know it’s your word and it doesn’t return void, but it is a very tedious read. There are all theses laws and rules I’m glad I am saved by grace. If I were back in the time of sacrifice then I would be broke from all the cattle I would have to kill. What I did notice is that You lord God take sin very seriously. I take it for granted that Jesus paid the price for my sin and I just cruise along as if there is no consequences for the sin. I once heard it said that when we sin and don’t think of the consequences of that sin “it’s like peeing on the sandals of Jesus”. Leviticus 10:1 “Aaron's sons Nadab and Abihu took their censers, put fire in them and added incense; and they offered unauthorized fire before the LORD, contrary to his command. 2 So fire came out from the presence of the LORD and consumed them, and they died before the LORD.” What a powerful example of the consequences of sin. Nadab and Abihu offered censers to God , but sinned because they did not follow His command and did their own way not God‘s way. They sinned against the Lord and we see an immediate consequence for their sins. (Proverbs 22:8) “He who sows wickedness reaps trouble, and the rod of his fury will be destroyed.” There are many verses in god’s word that warn me of the consequences of sin. The problem comes when I sin and I don’t see a punishment for that sin right away. In my mind I think I got away with it. The key word here is SOWS. The word SOWS can also mean: to produce seed, yield seed or it can also mean to become pregnant. So when I sow sin the outcome may not be apparent immediately, but it will yield a sin harvest eventually. The trap I get into is the small compromises I sow into life’s ground. It will eventually reap a harvest of destruction. In the book of James we see a picture of the true nature of sin. (James 1:14-15) “Each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed. Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death”
Temptation in it’s self is not a sin. (Hebrews 4:15) “For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet was without sin.” It is only when we dwell or fantasize about that a particular struggle that it becomes sin. (Matthew 5:27"You have heard that it was said, 'Do not commit adultery.' 28But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.” When I am actively in sin and eventually it will consume me and it will over take me and will lead to death. This death can manifest its’ self in two ways. 1. Physical death 2. Death meaning separation from God= Romans 6:20 “When you were slaves to sin, you were free from the obligation to do right. 21 And what was the result? You are now ashamed of the things you used to do, things that end in eternal doom. 22 But now you are free from the power of sin and have become slaves of God. Now you do those things that lead to holiness and result in eternal life. 23 For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord.” Lord I thank you for your grace and that you have set me free from the power of sin. (1 corinthians10:13) “No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment