Thursday, March 25, 2010

Can Two Walk Together, Unless They Are Agreed?(Amos 3:3)

3/25/10 I was walking in Publix the other day and I was thinking and praying as I often do about my wife and our marriage and I heard the voice of the Holy Spirit. Not an audible voice, but a quiet whisper in my mind that said “ Can two walk together, unless they are agreed?” (Amos 3:3) I thought it was from the part of scripture in Ecclesiastes 4 where it says” Two are better than one, Because they have a good reward for their labor…” When I went home to look it up, it was a totally different scripture then I had thought. Then I interpreted it as the Holy Spirit telling me that if my wife xxxx doesn’t want to be married to me there is nothing I can do about it. DAH! What a revelation! I think somewhere in my mind I was thinking somehow I can change her mind or just will it into being so. Amos speaks of agreeing to walk together. If I agree to walk with xxxx and she doesn’t agree to walk with me, then I am either following her or stalking her. Either way I look at it, we are not walking together because we are not in agreement. So I keep praying that God will restore my marriage and trust that He will do it. I feel like such a hypocrite just writing those words. I say that I trust God to do whatever He wants in my life, but I still try to impose my will on my wife and on God. Am I truly trusting God? NO! With My lips I say I trust him, but in my heart I don’t. I will let God take control and drive for a little while then if He is not taking me in the direction I feel like we should be going, I will grab the steering wheel and try to go in another direction. The problem with that is that I have no control of the gas peddle or the breaks! Eventually I am going to crash. As I look at the scripture in the context of this chapter, it doesn’t speak of two people walking together and not agreeing at all. It speaks of me walking together with God. A lot of times I pray or do something then after the fact I ask God to bless it. This verse can apply to me personally in that; if I am truly going to walk together with God, then I must be in agreement with Him and His will. I cannot do something and then after the fact ask God to come alongside and bless it. I need to “seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness”(Matt 33-34) and let Jesus drive. If I allow Jesus to drive in my life, then all I have to do is sit back and relax. Easy for me to say, but what a hard thing to do. I have come to realize that I am often self-centered, self-absorbed, self-sufficient, self-reliant, and narcissistic. I need to let Jesus be in control not me. Lord God I want to be more like you. I want your strength and power in my life. I need your guidance not only with wisdom for my marriage, but in every aspect of my life. “He must increase, but I must decrease.”(John 3:30)

1 comment:

  1. Like you and others, I have never felt the hammer and chizel in my mind as when the Lord took me in his care. The truth hurts, but it doest not destroy and at last it shall makes as free. And the obedience to the law shall also make us free. There are three great powers that move men to do great and infamous things. The first is strong drink, whether temporal or spiritual. How many men have lost their mariages, their lives, their possessions, their fortresses over strong drink or spiritual delusion. The second even greater power that move men around to even conquer and destroy kigdoms and empires is a woman, whether a soulamate or a church. Often a vulgar philosophy of men dictates the a par if breast pull stronguer than a pair of bulls. Now, there is one yet greater power that overcomes these two put together. It is the truth. If ones is resolute at all peril to make Jesusus Christ the fountain of life and the sure foundation, rock where we built our house, your house can never fall. In other words, your marriage may not be sanctioned yet, but it wa sisntituted by God for your ternal welfare and rejoicing. If you Serve God an dput hims before any given drink or flesh, you will have dragued your parner all the way to the presenc eof God. It is trialsome for both, but it is worthwhile. She may have, want, or wish to leave you, but the spirit of God that is connected to her will make her submit to the will of God as long as you walk together wiht him. Even if you lose her in this today and in this life, by your fidelity to God you will have better chances assiting her in better times.

    ReplyDelete