Friday, April 23, 2010

Count It All Joy? (James 1:2-4)


4/22/10 “My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing”(James1:2-4).
James tells me to “count it all joy when you fall into various trials”. How do I do this? I’m not exactly sure. I’m trying to count it all joy while in the trials. I know it is easier for me to count it all joy after the trial is past and I see the end results that God had in mind. I think it all comes down to how mature I am in the faith and trust that God will work all things out for good. “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him”(Romans 8:28). I want to see the end results at the beginning before God has a chance to change me and my situation. If I remember the past trials God has gotten me through will I be able to “count it all joy”? Well it hasn’t happened yet! My problem is that I often do not trust God. I feel like I am starting to trust HIM, but maybe I need more trials in my life(scares me to say this). Am I truly willing to “ be perfect and complete, lacking nothing”? NO! My whole life has been a constant pursuit of the avoidance of the pain associated with trials. I think this is one of my root problems that got me into trouble my entire life. I would do things to avoid trials and at the same time make even more trials for myself. I need to relax in God and stop trying to avoid the trial and pursue God and his guidance. “Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light”(Matthew 11:28-30). O Lord I want rest for my soul. Give me a heart that pursues you and your will even if it involves PAIN! I love you and praise you for the past trials you have given me. You have and you are constantly changing my heart, my mind, and my soul. “Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. Point out anything in me that offends you, and lead me along the path of everlasting life (Psalms 139:23-24).

1 comment:

  1. Praying for you my friend. I wish I could do something to help you but, really, praying is the greatest gift we can give someone. I have been in that place too where I would think "How can I look at this suffering and count it a joy?" but now I look at it as the joy is not the suffering but knowing what the trial will produce. God is taking this thing, as long as you have given it to Him, and He is gonna work it for your good, that you may be perfect, complete, and lacking nothing. That lack includes love. Just keep this in His hands, trust Him.

    About 2 years ago my family went through a layoff that was our only source of income and we could have easily been homeless and it truly was the most horrible thing I have gone through. I thought God must hate me to let me go through all the horrors of not being able to feed my family some days. We lived week to week not knowing if anything would come the next week for over a year. God always provided just in the nick of time. That year produced the most fantastic growth spiritually of my life! I would not take back the experience for anything even though I just wanted to die at the time. I know it's not the same, but you know when we give it all to Him and we are willing and obedient, the willing part is just as important as the obedient, then He truly will work it out for our long range good. I can't wait to see all of the great things God is going to do in your life!! It is going to be amazing, I am so optimistic for your future.

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete